Friday, March 19, 2021

 The Continental Shelf


I was surprised in many ways and dismayed at how the continental shelf has even been a source of anything negative. The continental shelf is so important and I know that whales and sea turtles can sometimes be seen in the shelf areas as they follow migration routes.  This makes me wonder about stranding.  But that is not what I have read and so I don’t know what all has happened.  There was a time pollution and overfishing devastated some animals to near extinction.  I am glad that people have made measures to correct damages but I still think this is something important to keep in mind as we go along because it is so basic.  Mostly shallow water has been the site of so much study and monitoring and even serious problems.  We all need to know what is going on and if it has happened before we can and should always remember not to let the terrible problems happen again.  The continental shelf is the first place at which someone would stop in if they were to take a trip through the oceanic basin and because serious problems devasted some animals to near extinction I feel it is very important to think about.  I would like devastation to these animals never happen again anywhere.

1 comment:

  1. Our local community has an annual clean-up day for the river. Anyone can volunteer to help clean up trash in the river to help protect the animals. Your post on the Continental Shelf reminded me of how important it is for us all to make efforts and to do our part to protect the environment.

    ReplyDelete